AAI Full Form
What is the full form of AAI?
AAI: Airport Authority of India
Airport Authority of India or AAI is the Main governing body in India for all types of Passengers and public airports.
Airports Authority of India (AAI) was constituted by an Act of Parliament and came into being on 1st April 1995 by merging erstwhile National Airports Authority and International Airports Authority of India. The merger brought into existence a single Organization entrusted with the responsibility of creating, upgrading, maintaining and managing civil aviation infrastructure both on the ground and air space in the country.
The Airports Authority of India is a statutory body, working under the Ministry of Civil Aviation, Government of India is liable for making, redesigning, keeping up and overseeing common flight foundation in India. It gives Communication Navigation Surveillance/Air Traffic Management benefits over Indian airspace and bordering maritime zones.
AAI manages a total of 137 airports which include 24 International airports (3 Civil Enclaves), 10 Custom Airports (4 Civil Enclaves) and 103 Domestic airports (23 Civil Enclaves).
The functions of AAI are as follows:
- Design, Development, Operation and Maintenance of international and domestic airports and civil enclaves.
- Control and Management of the Indian airspace extending beyond the territorial limits of the country, as accepted by ICAO.
- Construction, Modification and Management of passenger terminals.
- Development and Management of cargo terminals at international and domestic airports.
- Provision of passenger facilities and information system at the passenger terminals at airports.
- Expansion and strengthening of operation area, viz. Runways, Aprons, Taxiway etc.
- Provision of visual aids.
- Provision of Communication and Navigation aids, viz. ILS, DVOR, DME, Radar etc.